Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I Never Had a Teddy Bear

The boy’s dorm consisted of several functional rooms including a long, open bay sleeping room.  On one side was a line of lockers where we kept our clothes.  Each boy was assigned a locker and bed.  Next to our bed was a straight back chair.  Each night we would have our clothes for the next day folded neatly on the seat of the chair.  On top of the clothes would be our socks rolled neatly into a ball.

One of my lasting memories is that as a child I never had a teddy bear or stuffed animal to sleep with.  So each night after lights out when no one was looking I would take my rolled up socks and snuggle up to it like a teddy bear. 

As my daughters were growing up I always made sure they had stuffed animal toys to play with and to have as best friends.  I’ve also ensured our grandchildren had stuffed toys.  If I were the richest man in the world I would ensure that every child I came across would have their choice of a stuffed toy.

Several years ago one of my daughters gave me a teddy bear for Christmas.  Now you might think this is a silly gift to give a grown man but I want you to know that this is one of my most treasured possessions.  I’ve named it, “Poppy Bear.”  (My granddaughters call me Poppy).  He holds a special place of honor in my house with his own rocking chair and blanket.  When my granddaughters come to visit they like to drag him around and take naps with him.  No bear has been or will be more loved than Poppy Bear.

2 comments:

  1. I know that the emails I receive say to you that they are bounced back. I have had this problem for 10 years. I assure you that I do receive them.
    Dave you can email me at my main email: judykilroy07@comcast.net. Please do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We girls had the same thing. Bed, chair,locker. pretty much it. The only thing I had from my dad was a brown teddy bear. The nuns took it to decorate the dorm with and I wasn't allowed to sleep with it. At this time I was the youngest kid there.

    ReplyDelete