Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sliding on the Banisters

        With so many boys in the dormitory it was quite a feat to keep everything clean.  Each boy had age appropriate chores to perform.  In addition to dormitory chores some of the older children helped with other activities at the orphanage such as working in the kitchen or the orphanage laundry.  But I enjoyed my assigned chores tremendously.  I was responsible to sweep the stairs from our second story down to the first floor.   I was also responsible to polish the banisters. 

        Now this might seem a mundane activity but it was perhaps one of the most important chores in the dormitory.  The banisters were made of a dark stained wood and curved around at the bottom instead of having a finial at the base.  They were on top of concrete sides and ran the full length of the stairs.  They offered an irresistible temptation and were perfect for sliding down.    No self-respecting boy, unless he was in the presence of his dorm nun, would ever walk down the stairs.  Instead we would mount the banister and slide down to the landing at breakneck speed onto the landing.

        As a young and unskilled boy I would straddle the banister and slide down backwards.  But I soon joined the ranks of true banister pilots by learning to sit side-saddled facing the bottom of the stairs.  This allowed me to go even faster and land on my feet.  To a boy this was as good as flying.

5 comments:

  1. Your story reminds me-does any one remember polishing the floor with a rag under foot-now someone has invented slippers you can wear to polish the floors. If only we had known. Or sitting on the floor pollisher as someone moved and dipped you and and down like a whirling ride at the state fair. Good and sad memories of my childhood! But I learned in adult life, you must try and turn it around. Today parents have issues raising 2 or 3 children. How did the nuns ever do it-they weren't much older than ourselves. I will look for some group pictures I may have and see if I can get them to you. I, too am working on putting my memories and my sisers down on paper. You need to go home, and Nazareth was my "home" for all my young adult life! I like to say I came from good "Orphan" stock. Annie O'Connor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I remember the name Annie O'Connor. Is Kathy your sister?

      Debbie Bishop Willet

      Delete
  2. Annie,

    I was in the little boy's dorm and was not allowed to run the buffer. The funny thing is later when I was in Air Force basic training we would use the same technique to get an extra shine on the barracks floor. Great to hear from you...Please stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Sister Mary Thomas from Guam. She was an angel without a doubt. I was at Nazareth for a short time with my brothers Pat, Larry and sister Ann. Time frame was 1957/58. It was a sad time for us but we were fortunate as my Dad came for us and we ended up with Aunt Jane. I remember the marble matches in the yard. We were treated very well. Dick Allen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dick, Great to hear from you. You left just before I got there. Could you explain what you mean by the "marble matches" in the yard. I don't know what those were.

      Delete